A Brief History of Ojén
The Moors chose to build on this spot because of the abundant water which still gushes from several fountains in the village. They arrived in 711 and the layout and the architecture of the old part of the village is a result of their occupation. The church tower is part of the original mosque.
The village was conquered by the Christian forces in 1485. At that time, it had important commercial links with North Africa, and formed part of the municipality of Marbella.
The Moriscos (Moors “converted” to Christianity) were expelled from the area by King Felipe III in 1609, and two centuries later, Ojén became independent of Marbella.
For more on Ojén, its history, culture and other information, visit: http://www.webojen.org